Friday, January 2, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

I was the epitome of coolness when my wife said that she is having some contraction. Interval was about 15 minutes, after all. In contrast my mom was very frantic and was telling us through text message to rush to the hospital soon. I ignored her and even had a light conversation with my wife about it. Somewhere along the way, coolness gave way to excitement. Still taking things in stride, I told my wife that I will take a bath first. I really took my time as I believe in my head that it's not yet going to happen. After taking a bath, I got dressed and we even watched Jeopardy.

I am not bothered that much but I am concerned about the inconvenience that my wife was being subjected into so I asked her if she wanted to got to the hospital already. She said yes. So I drove calmly (which is so unlike me) to San Pedro Hospital. I am not fond of being in hospitals but I gathered all my strength to be there for my wife. And when they wheeled her to the delivery room, I again faced another difficulty, that of bringing along my wife's lady bag. This is going to be tougher than I expected.

With my wife's cousin, I stayed at the waiting area of the delivery room. This was after I paid the deposit and brought all bags that was pre-prepared for this momentous moment. My wife's Obstetrician/Gynecologist came in to check on my wife. The doc said that my wife's definitely 4 centimeters now. I don't know though what is that thick or long. Doesn't matter as long as I am not the one measuring it. I was prepared to hear the doctor tell me to wait for a little while because my wife will be in labour for quite some time. To my surprise, the doctor said an entirely different thing. She said that we should go home. We're not having a baby anytime soon within the night.

So here I am, panting while climbing the stairs to make sure that everything is ok for our impending departure very soon because my wife still looks too pretty to be giving birth. I wonder how would that look like (while knocking on wood!) when she really is in labor. It took a little while and one thousand six hundred pesos before we can finally leave. Costly. But as they say, practice makes perfect. So this is super worth it. Now we just need to learn to be very precise in distinguising the labor pain and give in more to coolness and level headedness.

Oh well.

We'll nail this the next time.

No comments: